WILTON — Wildlife officials say a bald eagle that had been seen hunting around Wilson Lake in Wilton for several years has died of lead poisoning.

The sick 18-year-old eagle was spotted by an ice fisherman on Jan. 19.

He alerted game wardens, who picked up the grounded raptor and brought it to Avian Haven, a wild bird rehabilitation center in Freedom. It died there two days later.

Diane Winn of Avian Haven tells the Sun Journal that X-rays showed a metal fragment in the eagle’s intestinal tract, and blood tests showed high lead levels.

She says the metal appears to be a piece of spent ammunition, perhaps ingested when the eagle fed on a carcass left by a hunter. It does not appear to be a fishing weight.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.