AUGUSTA — A Brann Avenue home was damaged Thursday by a fire believed to have been sparked by a wood stove.

Augusta Fire Deputy Chief David Groder said nobody was hurt in the fire that broke out shortly after 10:30 a.m., inside a two-bay garage at the intersection of Western and Brann avenues. The garage is used for an auto detailing business.

The garage is attached by a porch to a Cape Cod style home. The fire, which caused an estimated $4,000 damage, was limited to the garage, Groder said.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke showing from the building and a fire in the roof. Groder said firefighters knocked down the fire within a few minutes. He said the owner had doused the blazed with an extinguisher, “which probably kept it in check.”

The fire started where a metal chimney from a wood stove entered the wall, Groder said.

Firefighters were responding to a pair of fire alarms on Water Street when the fire broke out, Groder said. Firefighters from Togus stood by at Hartford Station on Water Street and Gardiner firefighters helped Augusta crews at the Brann Avenue fire.

“Our resources had to be split,” Groder said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.