FARMINGTON — A chimney fire that spread to part of a Farmington Falls home was quickly extinguished by firefighters Thursday morning.

Farmington Fire Chief Terry Bell said that the 35 firefighters from six towns who responded to the fire were able to extinguish the blaze before it spread to the rest of the Philbrick Road home, but not before damaging the floors and walls next to the chimney.

Bell said the fire was reported by a resident of the home, Toby Tyler, who smelled smoke and discovered the chimney fire. The Farmington Fire Department got the report of the fire at 10:26 a.m. and crews were at the scene 10 minutes later. He said 16 firefighters from Farmington took part in fighting the fire, along with volunteers from New Sharon, Chesterville, Jay, Temple and Wilton.

Fire crews left the site of the fire two hours later.

Bell said the damage wouldn’t be visible from the outside of the building, but the home will need some repair work to fix the damaged areas. The home was not insured.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family, Bell said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.