The newspaper of April 26 says that persons in the military must use shoe rations to buy American-made shoes, although no date for when this has to happen has been set yet.

Being a American (but not in military) I went to a local shoe store to buy New Balance American-made shoes, and guess what? All New Balance shoes in this store were made in Asia. I did not buy any there, and my next move was to call New Balance Shoe in Skowhegan. After I told my story to the person who answered the phone, I was told that 25 percent of New Balance shoes are made in the United States; the other 75 percent are made overseas.

If we apply this analogy to the U.S. military, 25 percent of them can buy U.S.-made shoes and 75 percent cannot. Before we praise U.S. shoe manufacturers for making shoes on this shore, it would be wise to find out how many are made here.

I don’t remembers seeing these 25/75 figures either before or after a visit by a congressman. I, for one, will try to buy American, but can I?

Harold WitheeWinslow


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.