A former Maine State Police chief accused of sexually assaulting a 4-year-old child appeared in the Cumberland County Courthouse Tuesday morning for a conference in the case against him, but left without reaching a resolution.

Andrew Demers Jr., 74, of New Gloucester sat outside the courtroom while his attorney, Walter McKee, met with District Attorney Stephanie Anderson behind closed doors with Judge E. Mary Kelly.

Demers has remained free on $5,000 bail since his arrest March 17. He pleaded not guilty on April 16 to a two-count indictment on charges of gross sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact.

If Demers is convicted, he will face as much as 30 years in prison for gross sexual assault, a Class A felony. The charge of unlawful sexual contact is a Class B felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

McKee said after the conference hearing that he and Anderson did not immediately come to any agreement in Demers’ case and that they expect to meet for a second conference Aug. 26.

Demers, dressed in a blazer and tie, left the courthouse without appearing before the judge. He would not speak to the media.


Cumberland County Sheriff Kevin Joyce has said that Demers admitted to assaulting the child multiple times, but McKee has said he has not seen a written confession.

State police got a tip about the alleged crimes March 10 and referred it to the district attorney, who asked the sheriff’s office to investigate. The District Attorney’s Office and McKee arranged for Demers to turn himself in at the county jail.

Demers, named a Legendary Trooper in 2003, served 26 years with the state police and held the department’s top position from 1987 to 1993, when he retired.

Scott Dolan can be reached at 791-6304 or at:


Twitter: @scottddolan

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.