The Fourth of July fireworks in Belgrade were postponed a second night in a row when strong wind forced them to Sunday night as Central Maine Power Co. struggled with outages across the region through the day.

Fireworks in Winthrop that had also been postponed to Saturday from Friday were put off indefinitely, according to the Winthrop Ambulance Service.

At 9:30 p.m., Central Maine Power Co. said customer outages statewide were around 777, down from a high of 6,000 at 6 p.m. as as wind from Hurricane Arthur started to die down after a day of battering the state.

Numbers in central Maine rose and fell throughout the day. Franklin County, which had been in single digits all day, had 1,027 reported outages at 6 p.m., but was at 474 at 9:30. Kennebec, Somerset and Waldo counties were all below 100, after being in the mid-hundreds all day, with Somerset going abovie 1,000 in the afternoon.

The Belgrade Lakes Region Business Group, which sponsors the annual fireworks display in Belgrade Lakes village, made its second fireworks postponement announcement in two days late Saturday afternoon. The fireworks had already been postponed from Friday to Saturday because of heavy rain.

The Winthrop Chamber of Commerce Facebook page Saturday evening still said the fireworks were on, but a more recent post by the ambulance service and a dispatcher for Winthrop said they’d been canceled.

Torrential overnight rain and strong wind, the fallout from Hurricane Arthur, which tore up the East Coast Thursday and Friday, downed trees and caused power outages Saturday throughout central Maine.

At 10 a.m., about 3,000 were without power, and as power was restored to many spots, many others lost it. At 2 p.m., than 4,000 customers without power in the state as high wind continued and that had risen to 6,000 by early evening.

The Winthrop dispatch center received several reports of downed trees in the region Saturday morning because of the storm. The dispatch center received another half dozen reports of downed lines in the afternoon because of strong wind.

In Manchester, downed trees blocked Scribner Hill and Benson roads, according to a dispatcher. Monmouth Fire Department also assisted CMP in replacing a knocked-down pole on Wilson Pond Road Saturday morning.

An Augusta police dispatcher said there weren’t any reports of damage from the storm in the city.

“Hope to have everyone back on by the evening at the latest,” CMP spokesman David Phifer said Saturday morning. He said at the time strong wind was expected to continue through the afternoon, and more outages, particularly near the coast, were probable.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.