Augusta Police Chief Robert Gregoire remains hospitalized with critical injuries after crashing his motorcycle Saturday during an off-duty charity ride in Jay.

Gregoire, 49, was listed in critical condition at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, a hospital representative said Monday. Neither city nor hospital officials would detail Gregoire’s injuries, but a report describing the events of the crash say he suffered a neck injury, said acting Jay Police Chief Richard Caton.

Cathy Gregoire, 47, Gregoire’s wife and a passenger on his motorcycle, has been released from the hospital.

Augusta Police Sgt. Christopher Shaw, 45, who was riding a second motorcycle, also was taken to CMMC and has been released, according to the representative.

Cathy Gregoire and Shaw couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.

Investigators believe wet pavement caused by rain may have contributed to the 4:30 p.m. accident, which happened on Crash Road, a state maintained two-lane road with a 45 mph speed limit. None of the three were wearing helmets.


“We’ve had our fair share of crashes on that road,” Caton said. “It’s a winding road.”

Barry Gates, who helped organize the Shriners Kora Kare for Kids Ride-In in Jay, said the Gregoires and Shaw were with a group of riders who took a trip to the Rangeley area and were returning to the ride field at Twitchells Airport in Turner.

He said both Gregoire and Shaw, who is a motorcycle patrolman for the department, are experienced riders.

“It was just an unfortunate accident,” Gates said.

Caton said Gregoire’s Harley-Davidson crashed after hitting the soft shoulder on a curve. The motorcycle turned over, ejecting the Gregoires.

Shaw, who was also riding a Harley-Davidson, saw the accident in front of him and skidded sideways so he didn’t hit the Gregoires, Caton said.


“He avoided a more serious crash,” Caton said.

Shaw’s wife, on a third motorcycle, managed to avoid both crashed bikes and their riders.

The Gregoires and Shaw were taken to CMMC by ambulance, Caton said.

Both motorcycles, which are personal vehicles, sustained heavy damage, according to the police report.

There is no indication that speed was a factor in the crash, Caton said.

Gates said other riders stayed to help the Gregoires and Shaw until rescue arrived. A couple of people from the charity ride went to the hospital to see if they could help, Gates said.


“We’re still trying to stay in contact,” he said. “We want to do anything we can to help the families.”

City Manager William Bridgeo issued a statement Monday saying the city’s top concern was the well being of the Gregoires and Shaw.

“We cannot comment with any private medical information,” Bridgeo said. “However, we are pleased to learn that Sgt. Shaw and Cathy have been released from the hospital and that Chief Gregoire is already making progress toward his recovery.”

Bridgeo said he has “full confidence in Deputy Chief Jared Mills and the Augusta Police Department to carry on their mission well as the chief recovers.”

The charity ride in Jay is a fundraiser for the Shriners Hospitals for Children, which primarily treat children who suffer burns. Gates said rain held off until late in the afternoon, but still affected the turnout, which was less than what organizers had hoped. The event was ended early because of the crash.

“They were participating in a great fundraiser for those hospitals,” Gates said. “It’s very unfortunate and we feel bad about it, and we hope we can help however we can.”

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.