A Newport drumstick factory avoided serious structural damage when a fire was contained to a metal stairwell, said the town’s assistant fire chief.

The Sunday fire was reported 8:48 a.m at Vic Firth’s drumstick factory, said Assistant Fire Chief Rick Turner.

Turner said the fire was contained under metal stairs with a metal lining under the stairs, which prevented it from spreading to the second floor.

“It was contained to a four-by-four area,” he said. “If the steel that went under the stairwell wasn’t there and had been wood, it would have given us a run for our money.”

He said the state fire marshal’s office determined the fire was caused by a water cooler that overheated.

Turner said drumsticks sustained water damage when the sprinklers went off in response to the smoke.

The High Street factory produces about 85,000 sticks a day, according to its website.

Turner said Newport Fire and Rescue was helped by crews from Dexter, Corinna and Pittsfield. A crew from Etna staffed the Newport station during the fire.

He said crews cleared the scene at 11:30 a.m.

Kaitlin Schroeder — 861-9252

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.