VIENNA — A Mountain Road fire destroyed the home of two residents Sunday night, likely caused by a woodstove or chimney fire.

No injuries were reported in the fire, and the occupants were able to get out safely, according to Fire Chief Brian Church. The home at 11 Mountain Road was occupied by owner John Lehr and a woman who could not be identified by firefighters.

Church said the home was fully involved in flames when he got there from his home two houses down.

The blaze, which was reported shortly after 10 p.m., was likely caused by a woodstove or unsafe chimney, Church said later Monday.

About 40 firefighters responded and were on the scene until 2:15 a.m. Monday.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to another home nearby.

“It’s totaled,” Church said Monday of damage to the home. “There was another house real close to it, within 40 feet. That was our main concern.”

Church said the residents have family who could provide them with a place to stay. He heard the residence was not insured.

Firefighters responded from all six member towns of the Lakes Region Mutual Aid Association: Vienna, Fayette, Mount Vernon, Readfield, Manchester and Wayne.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.