WINTHROP — A Winthrop father and son were burned after a turkey fryer caught fire in their garage on Sunday afternoon.

Fire Chief Dan Brooks said firefighters were called to a home at 32 Vista Heights at 2:41 p.m. after grease from the fryer caught fire, damaging a garage door opener directly above.

Brooks said the father and son extinguished the fire by throwing the fryer outside, but they were burned in the process.

The son, 23-year-old Spencer Smith, owner of the home, was taken by ambulance to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for smoke inhalation and burns to his left hand as a precautionary measure, Brooks said.

The father, 53-year-old Glen Smith, drove himself to the hospital to be treated for burns to his feet, Brooks said.

Both Smiths were treated at Central Maine Medical Center, for burns and released, according to Sgt. Ken Grimes, of the Office of the State Fire Marshal. Grimes said the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Brooks said the fire marshal’s office was notified about the fire because there were injuries involved.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.