A Kennebec County sheriff’s deputy is recovering from powder burns suffered Wednesday night in Windsor when he pushed away a handgun just as the woman who had tried to point it at him fired, according to the sheriff’s department.

Sgt. Galen Estes suffered minor burns to his hand during the incident, which Chief Deputy Ryan Reardon said could have been much worse.

“It is a blessing that more people were not injured,” Reardon said.

Allison Trask, 31, of Windsor, who allegedly tried to point the gun at Estes before shooting, has been charged with possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and reckless conduct with a firearm. Trask, who was convicted of burglary and theft in 2004, is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm because she is a felon. She is being held at the Kennebec County jail in lieu of $4,000 bail.

Reardon said the incident remains under investigation and that additional charges are possible.

Trask was in a bedroom at her parents’ home at 187 Legion Park Road when they heard a loud bang that sounded like a gunshot around 7 p.m. They went to check on Trask, but she had locked herself in the room and refused to speak.

“They feared it was their daughter,” Reardon said. “The daughter was described as being possibly suicidal, and they wanted someone to check her wellbeing.”

Estes arrived and tried to talk to Trask through a door. She swore at Estes and told him to leave.

“It was clear that she was not cooperative,” Reardon said.

Trask’s father, who was at the house, reiterated that the noise sounded like a gunshot, but said he was unaware that his daughter had a firearm.

Estes unlocked the door and started to push it open as Trask pushed from the inside in an effort to keep it closed, Reardon said. Trask tried to point the gun at Estes as he pushed his way through the door.

“As Estes pinned the gun down, Trask fired a shot, burning Sgt. Estes’ hand,” Reardon said.

Estes disarmed Trask and took her into custody after she resisted. She was taken to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta for an evaluation before going to jail.

“We are shocked at the actions taken by Trask,” Reardon said.

While the initial complaint was of a gunshot, Reardon said investigators still are trying to determine whether Trask fired the weapon before Estes arrived.

Estes continued his shift Wednesday night and is expected to miss no work as a result of his injury.

Reardon praised Estes for disarming Trask without causing significant injury, noting that sometimes people who are suicidal point weapons at police, forcing deadly confrontations.

“This really had the potential to be one of those situations,” Reardon said. “It was very close to a tragedy.”

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.