OAKLAND — Careless disposal of ashes from a wood stove caused a fire at 89 Water St. Thursday that destroyed a two-family house and barn and left seven people homeless, according to Fire Chief David Coughlin.

“It was accidental — disposing of ashes from a wood stove, obviously too close to combustible material,” Coughlin said Friday.

The displaced tenants stayed with family members Thursday night and the Red Cross will be helping them, according to Coughlin.

Coughlin said Friday morning that the fire started after wood stove ashes from the first floor were taken to a shed-like roofed lean-to attached to the barn in an area where there were a lot of dry leaves.

Wednesday was a windy night, Couglin noted. The ashes ignited a fire that spread to the barn, which had stairs that created a natural wind tunnel for the fire to spread, he said.

The fire was reported at 10:14 a.m. Thursday.

Coughlin said wood ashes should be put in a metal container with a cover and be completely cooled before they are dumped. Ashes should be placed at least 25 feet from anything combustible and water poured on them to make sure there is no spark, he said.

“Those ashes in a pile or can, (the ashes) can keep enough heat to ignite several days later, so even if somebody dumped them out, a wind can light the pile right up,” he said.

A passerby, Greg Hammerbeck, pounded on and opened doors in the two-story house to make sure tenants in two apartments got out Thursday morning. The fire at the house, built in 1910.

Nathan Carson, 24, and his parents, Lisa, 48, and Jerry, 49, lived on the second floor with their 7-year-old shepherd-husky mix dog, Shadow. Nathan Carson was the only one home at the time and Hammerbeck helped him and the dog get out of the apartment.

Scott Mullen Jr., 22 and Krysten Hardy, 21, and their children, Alex Hardy, 6, and Easton Mullen, 1, lived on the first floor and Hammerbeck also helped them get out.

Flames tore through the house, sending thick smoke into the sky and over the street. Some 35 firefighters from Oakland, Waterville, Belgrade, Sidney and Rome battled the blaze.

Fire crews worked well into the evening and the state Fire Marshal’s Office joined them at the scene, trying to determine the cause.

The Carson’s two cats, Mindy, a 1-year-old gray tiger, and Min-Min, an 8-year-old white cat with double paws, are believed to have died in the fire.

Coughlin said a Facebook page, Kelly’s Note on Town Happenings, lists information about how those families may be helped.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.