A Windsor man remains hospitalized in Portland after shooting himself in the face at the end of a police standoff at his home over the weekend.

Wayne Lavern Bland, 36, was being treated at Maine Medical Center for a gunshot wound to his face, said Chief Deputy Ryan Reardon of the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office. Bland is in the intensive care unit where he is unconscious, but Reardon did not know his condition. A hospital spokesman said she could not comment on Bland’s condition.

Bland remained under police guard throughout the weekend.

“He will be in the hospital for a while,” Reardon said.

Reardon said charges are pending against Bland that include violating conditions of release, possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, aggravated reckless conduct and creating a police standoff.

Police were called to Bland’s home at 160 Barton Road a little before 9 p.m. Friday for a report of a man who was suicidal and had taken an overdose of pills, Steve McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety, said in a press release.

Bland’s relatives called police and confirmed an elderly relative was still inside the home. Police eventually surrounded the home when Bland remained uncooperative.

The State Police tactical team and negotiators also responded, talking to Bland on the phone and asking him to surrender. Bland fired several shots — none at police — after Kennebec County Sheriff’s deputies and state police troopers arrived, McCausland said.

The standoff ended around 2 a.m. Saturday when Bland shot himself in the face and came out of the house, McCausland said.

Bland was taken into custody and taken to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta before being transferred to Portland.

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.