Firefighters responded to Freeport Village Station on Wednesday morning for a report of an odor of gas that led some stores to evacuate briefly, authorities said.

Firefighters determined the odor was caused by the open-air mall’s heating system running low on propane. Propane has no odor but an additive is used as a precaution to alert people, Deputy Fire Chief Paul Conley said.

The incident was reported at 10 a.m.

Fire officials at the scene sounded a fire alarm, which evacuated the stores, but after about 10 minutes workers and patrons were allowed to return once officials determined the source of the odor.

Freeport Village Station consists of 22 outlet stores and other retail shops surrounding an open-air plaza with an underground parking garage.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: @Mainehenchman

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.