SOMERVILLE — A fast-moving fire destroyed a home and attached barn Sunday morning on Route 105, killing several animals in the process.

Fire Chief Michael Dostie said one person suffered a minor injury while helping animals escape from the barn. That person, whom Dostie could not identify, was treated by rescue workers at the scene.

“One of the animals tried to run him over,” Dostie said.

There were no other injuries associated with the blaze, but some animals are unaccounted for and probably dead.

“We’re not sure how many,” Dostie said, adding that at least three dogs, three pigs and possibly two goats had died.

The home at 85 Route 105, also known as Patricktown Road, was the home of Scott and Missy Peasley and their young son. The home, which stood across from Frenchs Pond Road, included a main house and a barn that was attached by a large ell in the middle. All were leveled in less than an hour by flames that were fanned by a driving wind that whipped across the field atop the small hill.

“Once those front windows went, the wind pushed it right through the building,” Dostie said.

The fire, which apparently started in the ell, was rolling by the time firefighters arrived.

“It was really picking up,” Dostie said.

The chief and his son, Assistant Fire Chief Tim Dostie, the unidentified good Samaritan and others worked feverishly to free as many animals as possible before the fire grew too intense. Several animals were rescued from the barn, but there was little time to work in the house.

“Several people came up from the Dodge Road and helped,” Michael Dostie said. “We were able to get at least one dog out of the house, but that was it.”

Firefighters were delayed in spraying water on the flames because of a power service line that broke free from the house and fell across the top of a water pumper firetruck. The line still was charged with electricity. A Central Maine Power Co. crew, which had to drive from Richmond, took about 30 minutes to reach the scene.

“The power line fell down across the firetruck, and we had to cease operations on that one,” Dostie said.

Tim Dostie, who lives in the area, reported the fire around 10 a.m. while leaving home.

“At first he thought it was steam, but he turned and came back and saw it was smoke,” Michael Dostie said. “He called it in immediately.”

The Peasleys were not home when the fire broke out. Michael Dostie said he didn’t know whether the home was insured.

“They had just gone to the store,” he said. “It was quite a shock to them when they arrived on scene.”

Animal Control Officer Trina Havey, whose home is nearby, said the Peaslees moved into the home about five years ago.

“This is awful,” Havey said. “They’re such a good family.”

Havey said the Peaslees had a number of animals, including two donkeys, pigs and cows. The family also had a couple of cats and a several dogs.

“This is their livelihood,” Havey said of the farm. “This is how they feed their family. It’s just devastating.”

Facebook comments

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.