A fire that broke out Wednesday night destroyed a home in Bowdoinham, but the residents escaped safely.

Fire Chief Arthur Frizzle said Jennifer Casoni was at home with her two young children when she noticed flames at the front of the house. Her husband, Matthew, was not at home. Casoni and her children fled to safety.

Frizzle said the home, at 508 Browns Point Road, was a total loss. The American Red Cross was notified, but Frizzle said he believes the family will be able to stay with relatives who live in the area.

Faulty wiring in the water heater caused the fire, Frizzle said. It was reported at 5:30 p.m.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.