Firefighters quickly contained a fire set accidentally by a 13-year-old boy Tuesday in a Monmouth home, a fire official said.

Crews from Monmouth, Winthrop, Leeds, Wales and Greene responded about 2:15 p.m. to a report of the blaze at 117 Prescott Hill Road, according to Monmouth Assistant Fire Chief Ed Pollard.

He said the fire started in a bed in a first-floor bedroom, and the first firefighter at the scene got the fire under control. Damage was confined to the bed and furniture around it.

Pollard said the fire at the home, which property records say is owned by Wendy A. Brochu, was “not malicious” but rather accidental, though he would not say exactly how the boy started the fire, citing it as an issue involving a juvenile.

He said Monmouth police helped investigate the fire. Police Chief Kevin Mulherin said no charges have been filed in connection with it.

Michael Shepherd — 370-7652

[email protected]

Twitter: @mikeshepherdme

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.