A Cornville man was injured trying to put a fire out in his garage Sunday afternoon, the Cornville fire chief said.

Tony Kimball was taken to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan for burns and smoke inhalation, said Cornville Fire Chief Ken Hogate.

He did not know the extent of the injuries, but said Kimball was walking around at the scene. A spokeswoman at the hospital said Kimball was not there on Monday.

The fire was reported at around 2 p.m. Sunday in an unattached garage at 142 Waite Hill Road. It is believed to have started with the ignition of gas fumes from a piece of equipment Kimball was working on, Hogate said.

“I don’t know exactly what happened, but there was something that must have sparked and ignited the fumes,” he said.

Kimball tried to put the fire out with a hose, and it was mostly out by the time firefighters arrived on scene, Hogate said. The Office of the State Fire Marshal is investigating as is standard protocol in all fires in which injuries are reported, he said.

Firefighters from Athens, Madison and Skowhegan also responded.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.