An American bald eagle became tangled in power lines Tuesday afternoon on Allen Street in Waterville after landing on a utility pole and was electrocuted.

The dead eagle dangled in the wires for several hours Tuesday until Central Maine Power Co. employees could turn off the power to nearby businesses after 5 p.m. and disentangle the bird.

A CMP employee at the scene said Tuesday afternoon the eagle probably died instantly from the 12,000 volts that course through the wire.

Allen Street is a two-block street that runs from College Avenue and dead-ends at the railroad tracks next to the Kennebec River. Businesses affected included David Mathieu Auto Body, which is near the pole where the eagle became entangled.

It’s a federal offense to possess an eagle, so a warden from the Maine Warden Service took the bird after it was disentangled.

A call to CMP for more information Tuesday evening wasn’t immediately returned.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.