AUGUSTA — Steve Quinn’s family, still reeling from his sudden death Thursday, has started a fund to help with burial expenses and to help his family.

Quinn, 43, was found dead in his home on Mount Vernon Avenue at 5 a.m. Thursday, and an autopsy was conducted at the State Medical Examiners’ Office on Friday. Maine State Police responded to the residence as well.

Police initially described the death as unexplained, but not suspicious.

Jared Mills, deputy chief of the Augusta Police Department, said in a press release issued Friday that the investigation is ongoing, but it indicates there is no danger to the public. Authorities have not yet identified Quinn as the man who died, but the family has identified him to the Kennebec Journal.

“The autopsy was completed earlier this morning; however, the cause of death is still pending the toxicology reports,” Mills said in the release.

Bryan Colby, who identified himself as a nephew of Quinn’s, sent an email to the Kennebec Journal saying the family believes Quinn accidentally shot himself in the stomach while either cleaning the gun or clearing the gun off a table and was unaware it was loaded.

“The clip was locked up, and the only reason he had the gun out was that he lived in a bad neighborhood and wanted to protect his family,” Colby wrote.

The family has started a crowd-funding campaign at with a goal of raising $12,000.

It says Quinn was born in West Farmington and that he and life partner Mary Morton — who have been together for 29 years — have three sons.

“The untimely death, however, left the family in financial distress as Steve was without life insurance, and all assets were in his name alone,” the page states.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.