A motor vehicle accident in Solon that resulted in the death of a Norridgewock man Friday night remains under investigation, police said Tuesday.

Joshua Sincyr, 31, of Norridgewock, who was walking in the road on Ferry Street, was killed when he was hit by a pickup truck driven by Seth Burns, 18, of Embden, according to Maine State Police.

Lt. Mark Brooks at state police Troop C Barracks in Skowhegan said no charges have been filed in the case. Brooks said the Somerset County district attorney’s office will review the case after an accident reconstructionist completes the crash report and toxicology results on Sincyr and Burns are received from the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. There also will be a motor vehicle autopsy.

Trooper Andrew Hardy from Troop C is the primary investigator in the accident and will submit his report once it is completed, Brooks said.

State police said a preliminary investigation showed Burns was driving a 1994 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck west on Ferry Street and Sincyr was walking in the road in a dark and unlit area at 10:53 p.m. when the truck struck Sincyr, killing him.

The truck had extensive front end damage, but Burns was not injured, police said.


The accident happened just minutes after a Madison man was killed and two others were injured in a crash on Anson Road in Starks late Friday night. Clint Briggs, 21, a passenger in a car driven by Jonathon Cayford, 21, was found dead at the scene of the 10:37 p.m. crash just west of the Old Ferry Road intersection.

Cayford, driving west, was passing a line of other westbound vehicles at a high speed when he went off the road, according to the sheriff’s department.

Deputies at the scene estimated Cayford’s speed at 80 miles an hour. As the vehicles he was passing approached a corner in the road, Cayford lost control of the 1998 Nissan Maxima, striking several trees.

Briggs was not wearing a seatbelt, the sheriff’s department said, and evidence gathered at the scene indicated speed and alcohol may be contributing factors in the crash. A blood kit was taken from the driver.

Cayford was taken to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan after the crash. A 17-year-old female passenger, who was in the front seat, was lifeflighted to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

James Ross, chief deputy at the sheriff’s department, said Tuesday that the female passenger since has been released from the hospital. He said results of the blood kit could take several days before results are available.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.