OAKLAND — Two people with burns were sent to a hospital in Portland after an early morning fire Saturday that destroyed their mobile home on Webb Road in Oakland and left a dog and five cats unaccounted for.

Oakland Fire Chief David Coughlin said four people — three adults and a teenager — were in the home when fire broke out in the kitchen around 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

“It was a mobile home in a mobile home park,” Coughlin said later Saturday. “They were awakened by their smoke detectors. It absolutely saved their lives.”

Coughlin said three of the people, whose names he did not have Saturday, fled the burning home through a door, and one had to get out through a window. Two of the sleeping residents first were taken to a local hospital with burns and then were transferred to a Portland hospital.

“The home is a total loss,” he said.

Coughlin said an electrical wiring problem caused the fire. He said investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal ruled the fire accidental. Fire crews from Belgrade, Sidney, Rome and Smithfield assisted at the scene, as did Delta Ambulance, Oakland police and Central Maine Power Co.

Crews were at the scene about for three hours, Coughlin said.

He said the American Red Cross has been notified and is assisting the family.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.