A New Sharon man who died of burns he suffered inside his parked car had been inhaling fumes from an aerosol can when a cigarette set off the flames, authorities said.

Casey Turner, 34, suffered severe burns to his face and hands Tuesday night in his car, according to a news release Wednesday from Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety. The car was parked in the driveway at Turner’s 86 Mercer Road home.

Authorities initially didn’t know how the fire started, but the state fire marshal’s office later determined that Turner, who was a smoker, apparently was inhaling fumes, known as “huffing,” according to a second news release.

Turner was using Dust Off — a compressed air product that is used to blow dust and lint off electronics — McCausland said. Empty aerosol cans were found inside the car.

Turner was burned while inside the car, which was not damaged, then walked to a neighbor’s house to call for help around 9 p.m. Tuesday, McCausland said.

Franklin County sheriff’s deputies went to the scene after the 911 call.

Turner was taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta and then transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland, where he died, McCausland said.

The state medical examiner’s office is reviewing the death, which is the fourth fire-related death of the year, McCausland said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.