CHICAGO (AP) — The Boston Red Sox have activated right-handed reliever Carson Smith off the 15-day disabled list.

Smith was available for Tuesday night’s game against the Chicago White Sox, giving Boston another bullpen option in the seventh and eighth innings.

Smith strained a flexor muscle in his right forearm in a spring training game. He retired all five batters in two rehab relief appearances for Double-A Portland last week.

The Red Sox optioned infielder Marco Hernandez to Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday night in anticipation of the move.

The 26-year-old Smith was acquired from Seattle in the Wade Miley trade in December after posting a 2.31 ERA in 70 appearances as a rookie with the Mariners last season.

• • •

Pablo Sandoval will miss the rest of the season.

The Boston Red Sox third baseman had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder on Tuesday. The Red Sox called the surgery a success but said he will miss the rest of the season.

They said he is expected to make a full recovery in time for the 2017 season.

Sandoval is in his second season of a $95 million, five-year contract. In his first season with Boston, he posted career-lows with a .245 average, 10 homers and 47 RBIs. He reported to spring training visibly overweight, then lost his starting job to Travis Shaw.