Fire, police and utility crews were at work in downtown Monmouth shortly before 11 a.m. Wednesday after an accident involving a tractor brought down power lines and left more than 900 users without power for several hours.

According to Central Maine Power’s website, 902 Monmouth customers and two Wales customers were without power immediately after the incident. By 4 p.m., the company reported all power had been restored.

The repair took several hours as a utility pole had to be replaced after the collision, according to a company spokeswoman.

No one was injured when the tractor struck the pole, breaking the pole and bringing power lines down over the vehicle and onto the ground, said Monmouth Fire Chief Dan Roy, who is out of town but saw a picture of the incident provided to him by his son.

The accident happened at 490 Main St.

Until the pole could be replaced, the road was blocked off between the intersections with Ridge Road and Maple Street, and firefighters were diverting traffic, Roy said.

Charles Eichacker — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @ceichacker


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.