An early morning fire destroyed a single-family home Monday at 141 Tillson Road in Monmouth.

Monmouth Fire Chief Dan Roy Jr. said no one was home at the time and no one was injured in the blaze that was reported at 3:58 a.m.

“It was discovered by a passer-by who saw the glow and reported it,” Roy said.

When firefighters arrived, they found the two-story, 24-by-28-foot home completely destroyed and collapsed into the basement.

“There was not a single structural component left,” Roy said.

About 30 firefighters worked on the fire, and Wales and Leeds helped supply water for Monmouth.

Roy said the fire was under control in about half an hour, but firefighters were on the scene until about 6 a.m.

Roy said the home’s two occupants, including owner Gregory R. Wing, were away, one visiting family out of state and the other camping at a nearby lake.

An investigator with the Office of the State Fire Marshal is expected to be at the site on Tuesday to try to determine a cause.

The home itself was erected about 1992.

Roy said Monmouth’s firefighters have been particularly busy.

They were called to a vehicle rollover at 11:30 p.m. Sunday and then to the early morning fire.

Firefighters then began cooking their annual Memorial Day breakfast, where they fed 190 people from 7 to 9 a.m. Monday and finally staged all the firetrucks at 10 a.m. for the 10:30 start of the Memorial Day parade.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.