OAKLAND — Firefighters quickly extinguished a stovetop fire Thursday afternoon in a second-story Summer Street apartment.

A fire was reported around 4:20 p.m. at the 35 Summer St. apartment. The damage to the apartment’s kitchen is minor, and occupants were able to get out of the apartment safely, according to Oakland Fire Capt. Dave Groder.

Groder said the fire originated when something being cooked on the stovetop caught fire, and the fire then hit the back wall and went up to the ceiling. Officers from the Oakland Police Department were the first responders on the scene, and Sgt. David Savage was able to slow the fire by using a fire extinguisher.

When fire crews arrived, they were able to extinguish the fire within five minutes, Groder said. He said the damage was caused primarily by smoke and was apparent on the wall behind the stove and several ceiling tiles.

Firefighters from Oakland, Belgrade, and Rome went to the scene. Around 5 p.m., the Oakland Fire Department was still there, gathering information from the residents about the circumstances surrounding the fire.

Lauren Abbate — 861-9252

[email protected]

Twitter: @Lauren_M_Abbate

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.