MADISON — Improperly disposed of smoking materials are believed to have been the cause of a Main Street fire that was stopped Monday afternoon before any serious damage was done to a nearby house, according to the Madison fire chief.

“If no one had noticed, it certainly could have spread, especially given how dry it is,” said Madison Fire Chief Don French.

The fire was reported shortly after 1 p.m. at 469 Main St. The home belongs to Chris Roy, who said there was no damage to the structure.

The fire originated from a cigarette that was still smoldering and had ignited a patch of grass outside the house, Roy said.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters from Anson and Madison responded.


Fire officials across the region have warned all summer that dry conditions make fires even more of a danger than normal. Fire officials in central Maine warned in June that many factors — particularly carelessly disposed of cigarette butts — could easily cause a fire.

Central Maine was listed as a Class 3 fire danger day Monday — which means fire danger is high. “All fine dead fuels ignite readily and fires start easily from most causes” when danger is high, the Maine Forest Service website says.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.