TEMPLE — A mobile home fire Monday morning caused smoke damage but left the owner and two cats unharmed.

The fire in the single-story mobile home at 487 Intervale Road started in a clothes dryer, according to fire Chief David True. The cause is still unknown, but True said it may have been lint.

The owner, Glen Palmer, had left his home and upon returning saw fire coming out of a window. When he opened the door, smoke came out, True said.

Firefighters arrived at the scene around 9:30 a.m., and the fire was extinguished around 10:30 a.m. Three other fire departments were called for mutual aid but were canceled en route because the fire was under control, True said.

“We were fortunate that the laundry room was right behind the front door,” True said.

The fire damaged the laundry room and kitchen, but the rest of the home sustained only smoke damage.

Madeline St. Amour – 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @madelinestamour