AUGUSTA — Two men accused of shooting handguns at each other in the parking lot at Wal-Mart during an altercation that ended when armed bystanders intervened were indicted Friday on charges including attempted murder.

Frankie Dejesus, 27, of Augusta, was indicted on charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault, and reckless conduct with a firearm. Reginald McBride, 45, of Harlem, New York, was indicted on charges of attempted murder, aggravated trafficking in scheduled drugs, reckless conduct with a firearm, and four counts of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. The indictments stem from a June 26 shooting and fight a judge described as “like an old Western shoot-out in the Wal-Mart parking lot.”

Also indicted Friday, in connection to the same incident, were Samantha E. Tupper, 24, of Augusta, on charges of unlawful furnishing of scheduled drugs and hindering apprehension or prosecution, and Diana M. Davis, 29, of Rochester, New York, on a charge of aggravated assault.

An indictment is not a determination of guilt, but it indicates that there is enough evidence to proceed with formal charges and a trial.

Police say McBride and Dejesus fired guns at each other during a dispute about money in the parking lot of the Augusta Wal-Mart, though no one was struck by a bullet during the altercation.

An affidavit by Augusta Police Detective Brian Wastella says Tupper had been driving in a Ford Taurus to Wal-Mart when she picked up McBride on Mount Vernon Avenue. A car with three women passengers in it, and Dejesus driving, approached them. Two of the women got out and got into Tupper’s vehicle, and both vehicles went to Wal-Mart, parking side by side. All the people got out of both vehicles.


Wastella said McBride, Tupper, Dejesus and Davis argued.

McBride said Tupper and he got back into the Taurus when “he observed Dejesus point a handgun out the driver’s side of his vehicle at him. McBride stated in fear of being shot, McBride drew his handgun and began firing at Dejesus,” Wastella wrote. Dejesus, meanwhile, told police McBride pulled the gun first and began shooting, so Dejesus began firing back.

Wastella said McBride got out of the car when the shooting stopped and began fighting with Dejesus and Davis, with the two beating on him. Tupper told police Dejesus hit McBride with the butt of a gun while Davis held him.

Then, according to police accounts of the incident, two bystanders, both legally armed with guns, broke up the confrontation, taking out their guns and telling the suspects to stop fighting.

Tupper and McBride drove away before police arrived. Police later found them at Tupper’s residence, on Mayflower Road. Wastella said police found 42 grams of heroin on McBride.

The indictment for McBride notes he “did intentionally or knowingly shoot at Frankie Dejesus,” while Dejesus’ indictment likewise states he “did intentionally or knowingly shoot at Reginald McBride.”


McBride’s indictment indicates, regarding the four counts of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, that McBride was convicted of possessing cocaine with intent to distribute in Virginia in 1996. The indictment states McBride owned, possessed or controlled four firearms — two .22 caliber handguns, a .32 caliber handgun, and a 9 millimeter handgun.

Davis’ indictment states she caused bodily injury to McBride, with the use of a firearm.

While no one was shot in the incident, McBride suffered lacerations to his head, which police said was from being hit by the butt of a gun during the fight that ensued after four shots were fired.

Keith Edwards — 621-5647

[email protected]

Twitter: @kedwardskj

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.