DETROIT — A building set ablaze by overheated electrical wires was destroyed Tuesday afternoon, the fire chief said.

Overloaded electrical circuits were the cause of the fire, Detroit Fire Chief Don Chute said. The single-story, ranch style house had a 100-amp entrance and four circuits throughout, and all were overloaded with extension cords, especially the ones located where the fire started in the kitchen and bedroom.

The fire at 549 Troy Road was called in at 2:21 p.m. Tuesday by the owner, Donald Bagley. When Bagley noticed some outlets not working and his refrigerator turning on and off, he went out to look at the power line to see if something was knocked down, Chute said. About 30 minutes later, Bagley noticed smoke coming from the bedroom and then flames.

Chute said Bagley shut everything up well before the fire departments arrived, which helped keep the fire controlled.

“The fire pretty much choked itself out by the time we got there,” Chute said.

Detroit, Plymouth, Pittsfield and Newport fire departments all responded to the scene and got the fire under control in 15 minutes. They spent another hour and a half making sure it was completely extinguished.

The fire destroyed the bedroom and kitchen areas, Chute said, and the rest of the house sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

“He’s probably not going to salvage much,” Chute said, calling the building a “total loss.”

Bagley did not have insurance, but the Detroit Fire Department put him in contact with the American Red Cross to help him get clothing and other necessities.

Madeline St. Amour — 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @madelinestamour


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.