SIDNEY — A man was treated for smoke inhalation after his Dinsmore Road home caught fire Wednesday night, officials said.

The fire at 210 Dinsmore Road was reported shortly after 5:30 p.m., according to Sidney Fire Chief Richard Jandreau. Crews arriving there found the man outside in respiratory distress because he had rescued his pets — two cats, a dog and a parrot — from the smoke-filled home, Jandreau said. The man was taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to a single room in the home and douse it after about an hour, Jandreau said.

“I’d call it a room content fire,” he said. “The door was closed and it was contained to a room, so there was minimal damage.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal responded to investigate, and officials determined the blaze started after a sheet over a doorway caught fire from an electric heater, Jandreau said.

Firefighters from Augusta, Belgrade, Oakland, Rome, Sidney, Smithfield and Winslow responded to the emergency.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: