CHESTERVILLE — An electrical fire that started in a barn on Friday damaged part of the building and killed the property renters’ chickens, officials say.

According to Chief John Archer, the fire most likely started at the light fixtures near the heating lamps that were in a corner for the chickens. Barry Webber and his family had just started renting the home, which is attached to the barn, about two weeks ago and had put the chickens in the barn, which was otherwise used for storage, Archer said.

Firefighters were called to the scene on Vienna Road at 12:52 p.m. and got everything under control and cleaned up by 2:30 p.m., Archer said. Farmington, Jay, New Sharon, Wilton and Industry Fire Departments also responded to provide additional manpower and water.

The fire itself didn’t take long to put out, Archer said, and damaged just the corner of the barn where the chickens were kept. There weren’t more than 10 chickens in the barn, but they all died during the fire.

The family said they had seen sparks coming out of the light fixtures earlier in the week and had taken the lightbulbs out, Archer said, but that isn’t enough to prevent an electrical fire.

Madeline St. Amour — 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @madelinestamour


Comments are not available on this story.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.