WINSLOW — Sparks from a cutting saw caused a fire Tuesday afternoon at MSR Recycling on Verti Drive, fire department officials said.

The structure fire was reported to emergency responders around 3:45 p.m. at the 88 Verti Drive facility. The business buys scrap metal and other materials.

Workers were cutting steel when a spark hit a 5-gallon plastic pail, lighting it on fire, said Winslow Fire Capt. Joseph Gravel.

The business owners put snow in the bucket of a skid-steer, dumping it on the flames and patting it down, putting most of the small debris fire out by the time firefighters arrived at the scene, according to Lt. Adam Burgess.

There was no damage to the building, but firefighters did have to put water on some of the recycled materials nearby that were scorched, and a toolbox next to the pail caught on fire as well, Gravel said.

Firefighters used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the building, which is what took the most time, Gravel said. Crews returned to the station around 5:15 p.m.

Gravel said this was the first fire he’s been called to a fire at MSR Recycling.

Madeline St. Amour — 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @madelinestamour

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.