The origin of a fire that destroyed a two-bay garage Monday evening in Manchester has yet to be determined but is not suspicious, according to fire officials.

Manchester Fire Chief Clarence “Bug” Cram said he lives near Friendship Drive, and when he got to the site within a couple minutes after the call, the garage was fully in flames. Firefighters concentrated on preventing the fire from spreading to the house, located about 30 feet away.

“It melted the siding, but we stopped it from getting into the house,” Cram said Tuesday morning.

The garage, which was insured, is owned by Kasondra Babb, Cram said. He also said a pickup truck, a personal watercraft and a number of other items stored in the garage were destroyed by the blaze.

The fire was reported about 5 p.m., and mutual aid companies responded from surrounding towns.

Cram said firefighters were at the scene until about 8:30 p.m. Monday.

Investigators from the Office of State Fire Marshal were there as well.

Cram said propane tanks were shut off and moved and that popping sounds heard from the garage probably were the pickup’s tires exploding in the blaze.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

filed under: