A bomb threat was made against Cape Elizabeth Middle School on Thursday morning, school officials said.

Howard Colter, interim superintendent in Cape Elizabeth, said the threat to the school on Scott Dyer Road was made in a recorded robo-call to the middle school office at about 10:50 a.m. Thursday.

“It was not specific, something about a bomb in a backpack” said Colter, who also said the call was hard to understand and repeated twice.

Local police and fire officials were summoned, Colter said, and officers from Portland with a bomb-sniffing dog also responded.

Colter said school officials decided against evacuating the school or altering schedules because the nature of the threat was so lacking in specifics. He said that after the school was swept by police, and officials learned that similar threats had been made against four schools in Massachusetts and three in New Hampshire on Thursday, it was decided that the threat was not credible.

“It’s disheartening. It’s disruptive,” Colter said of the the threat. “But we take it seriously. It’s very easy to turn a school upside down.”

Parents were informed of the incident in an email sent Thursday afternoon.

filed under: