The Winslow Police Department on Wednesday confirmed that a Fairfield police officer’s infant daughter was wounded after being bitten by the officer’s new untrained police dog.

Shortly after 10 p.m. Friday, Winslow police were notified by the Fairfield Police Department that Officer Jordan Brooks’ dog, a 22-month old Belgian Malinois named Rex, had bitten Brooks’ infant daughter, according to a news release Wednesday from the department.

The town bought the dog in January from International Canine Exchange for $7,500.

Officials on Tuesday initially had declined to disclose certain details, including Brooks’ identity, in connection with the incident, although Facebook posts from the Fairfield department indicated that Brooks was the dog’s handler. The post also said the dog originally came from Croatia.

The dog was off duty at the time of the incident, and both parents were home when the infant was bitten. Brooks, who lives in Winslow, immediately took his daughter to Inland Hospital in Waterville, according to the release.

After they arrived, the medical staff decided to transfer the injured infant to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, which has a neonatal facility. The infant suffered puncture wounds and bruised ribs, police said. She was being held for observation but does not have life-threatening injuries, according to the release.


Winslow police Animal Control Officer Christopher Martinez conducted an investigation into the incident and no criminal charges are being sought, according to Winslow police. Martinez did not return a call for comment Wednesday.

According to the release, police determined the dog did not attack the infant in a “premediated manner,” and instead concluded the dog was immature and had not gone through proper training yet. The dog was scheduled to attend the Maine Criminal Justice Academy K9 Patrol School on March 14.

The dog is being quarantined at the Humane Society Waterville Area, which is standard procedure. The dog is up to date on its shots and vaccinations.

Lisa Smith, director of the Humane Society Waterville Area, said Wednesday the dog came to the shelter on Friday. During that time, she said, the dog has been “a perfect canine gentleman” and has been agreeable and playful. Since the dog is in quarantine, she said, staff members had many opportunities to interact with it.

“He is tolerating shelter life better than most dogs,” Smith said.

Smith said she couldn’t speculate what would happen next for the dog, and said Fairfield had a number of options, including returning the dog to the breeder.


“We’re just standing by and offering support to the family, the Police Department and, of course, the dog,” she said.

The Fairfield Police Department will determine the next steps in dealing with the dog.

Fairfield police Chief Tom Gould said Wednesday there have been no discussions about what the next steps surrounding the dog will be, saying they are still at “step one.”

“I really don’t have any idea how we’re going to proceed with this,” Gould said. “Right now the entire department is thinking of the officer and his family, and we’re going to wait until that officer is available before we proceed.”

Colin Ellis — 861-9253

Twitter: @colinoellis

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.