WILTON — A fire caused by a heat lamp totaled a shed on Thomas Street Saturday, but the owners were able to rescue the ducks inside before the structure was engulfed in flames, fire officials said.

Firefighters received a report of a fire on 6 Thomas St. around 5 p.m. When Fire Chief Sonny Dunham arrived at the scene, he said the 10-by-10-foot shed was already “fully engulfed.”

By the time the Wilton fire truck arrived, the building was collapsing, he said.

The shed was used to house about 10 ducks, according to Dunham. A heat lamp kept in the shed for the ducks started the fire.

Dunham said the owners were able to get the ducks out before firefighters arrived at the scene.

“They saved them all,” he said.

Firefighters put out the flames within a half-hour, Dunham said, adding that it was a “pretty simple” job.

The shed was flattened. Dunham didn’t know if the owners have insurance on it.

Madeline St. Amour — 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @madelinestamour

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.