A Mercer man who allegedly led police on a brief car chase in North Anson was arrested on multiple charges, including possession of heroin laced with fentanyl.

Michael Anthony Dellarma, 29, was arrested around 6 p.m. Wednesday by Deputy David Cole, of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office. According to Chief Jim Ross, of the sheriff’s office, Cole was patrolling North Anson headed south on U.S. Route 201A when he recorded a vehicle driving 59 mph in a zone where the speed limit was 25 mph.

“As he turned on the vehicle, it accelerated very fast and turned onto Route 16,” Ross said.

After that, Ross said, Dellarma immediately turned onto a side street with Cole behind him with his blue police lights flashing. Dellarma turned onto a logging road, stopped his car, got out and began walking, at which point Cole was “immediately on him” and took Dellarma into custody.

All told the chase lasted about a minute, Ross said, but it was “a very obvious attempt to elude the officer.”

“But he was cooperative with the deputy,” Ross said. “He didn’t try to resist once the deputy confronted him.”

Upon searching Dellarma’s car, police discovered packets of material that tested positive for heroin with fentanyl in it, used needles and Suboxone strips.

The deputy’s report was not complete Thursday morning, so Ross said he couldn’t be sure if Dellarma had been using the drugs he was in possession of.

Dellarma was taken that night to the Somerset County Jail. He was charged with speeding more than 30 mph over the speed limit in a 25-mph zone, eluding an officer, unlawful possession of schedule W and sSchedule Z drugs, and violating conditions of release.

At the time of his arrest, Dellarma was free on bail, though details about that were unavailable. According to the jail, as of Thursday morning, bail had not been set for Dellarma, as he still had to see a judge, probably on Friday.

Ross said Dellarma has a history with the sheriff’s office dating back to 2009.

Colin Ellis — 861-9253

[email protected]

Twitter: @colinoellis