A Wayne couple has lost their home after a fire that broke out just after 6 p.m. Friday spread from the garage to the attached house.

No one was injured in the blaze, Assistant Fire Chief Jim Welch said Saturday.

The homeowners, Stan and Jane Davis, spent the night with friends, Welch said. He said they were home at 409 North Wayne Road when the blaze started.

“My understanding is they heard a loud sound, a popping sound,” he said, and saw the flames.

The call came in about 6:05 p.m. Friday.

Welch said Wayne Fire Chief Bruce Mercier was the first to arrive and Welch was second, and by then flames were shooting from first- and second-story windows.


“It’s really depressing when we arrive and the fire’s consumed most of the building,” Welch said, adding that the department was there almost immediately. “The fire moved very fast due to the construction, which was apparently mostly wood.”

Firefighters were at the scene until after 11 p.m. and checked back periodically through the night. “When we left last night, the roof collapsed in on itself,” he said, but hot spots remained.

They were able to locate an excavator Saturday morning to help put out any remaining hots spots.

Welch said the Office of State Fire Marshal was called, but the cause of the blaze did not appear to be suspicious.

“There is no indication of anything of that sort,” he said.

Firefighers from Fayette, Manchester, Mount Vernon, Readfield, Vienna and Winthrop assisted, as did Winthrop Ambulance.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: