CHINA — A fire that damaged an unoccupied home Thursday afternoon on Lakeview Drive probably was the result of an electrical problem, according to officials.

China Village Fire Department Chief Tim Theriault said the fire at 1191 Lakeview Drive, which was extinguished quickly, was sparked by an electrical malfunction. The fire was contained mostly to the attic area, Theriault said; and other than water damage, the rest of the house suffered little harm. He said an electrician who had been in the building earlier in the day had said that the circuit breakers for the upstairs bedroom kept popping.

“Most of the house did not get hurt,” Theriault said.

The home, which is across from China Lake, had been renovated recently to be sold, Theriault said, and the sale was scheduled to close on Friday. A “sale pending” sign was on the lawn next to the house.

Theriault said it was an old house, but he didn’t know if that contributed to the fire.

The chief said he was going to call the state fire marshal’s office, but it was up to that office to decide if it was going to investigate.

Crews from Winslow, Albion and South China all went to the scene, with as many as six tankers. Theriault said there was a great response from all departments, and the rapid response contributed to how quickly the fire was put out.

“It was a pretty good save,” he said.

Colin Ellis — 861-9253

[email protected]

Twitter: @colinoellis


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under:

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.