OKALAND — Police were investigating the cause of a crash Tuesday night on Kennedy Memorial Drive, where a truck flipped over and took out multiple utility poles.

Oakland police Sgt. Tracy Frost said witnesses reported that the truck was weaving just before the crash, which occurred next to the Green Spot produce stand and across from the Ray Haskell Ford Lincoln dealership.

The driver, who was traveling from Oakland toward Waterville, was taken to the Thayer Center for Health at Maine General with complaints of chest pains, Frost said, but otherwise was in stable condition.

The crash halted traffic, and police from Oakland and Waterville had to direct traffic, as power was cut off along that section of Kennedy Memorial Drive. Frost said he expected the road to be closed for a few hours more after the accident.

Frost said the crash was still under investigation.

Oakland Fire Chief Dave Coughlin said rescue workers had to cut the windshield to get the driver out, and crews had to wait for Central Maine Power Co. to turn off the electricity. He said the driver was trapped in the overturned truck.

Coughlin said they were fortunate that the truck rolled to the right side of the road rather than the left, which would have sent the truck into oncoming traffic.

“We’re fortunate we’re dealing with poles,” he said, rather than additional vehicles.

Marie Martin, who lives across the street from where the accident happened, said she heard the crash, and from where she was sitting in the living room, she saw the truck flip.

“It was the worst crash I’ve ever heard,” Martin said Tuesday night in her driveway.

All told, Frost said, the truck took out three utility poles and the business sign from the Green Spot and pulled utility lines off two houses.

The driver was able to talk after the accident but was shaken up and scared, Frost said, and he was taken to the hospital to determine whether the crash was the result of a medical incident.

Frost did not believe alcohol or drugs were involved and, as part of the investigation, said he would look into whether distraction played a role. He said police were at the scene in under a minute.

“It was a pretty severe accident,” Frost said.

While Waterville police helped with traffic, the Waterville Fire Department was released from the scene.

Colin Ellis — 861-9253

[email protected]

Twitter: @colinoellis


filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.