OAKLAND — Nobody won Tuesday afternoon’s scoreless draw between the Cony and Messalonskee high school boys soccer teams, but it was a game both teams feel they can build from as the season progresses.

“Typically in the past, (Messalonskee) is a team we’ve really struggled with, so to come out of here with a tie on this small field is a really big thing for us,” Cony coach Jon Millett said.

While frustrated with his team’s inability to convert a few scoring chances, Messalonskee coach Tom Sheridan also saw the game as a positive.

“I like what I saw. I think we’re coming along. We’ve got a lot of people in new positions this year across the field, in different roles than in the past,” Sheridan said.

Messalonskee (0-1-1) controlled play for much of the game and almost scored with 25 minutes left in the second half. Christian Alley came down the middle of the box, took control of a long rebound and fired a low shot to the center of the net. However, Cony keeper Nick Robinson slid to his right and kicked the ball away for the save. Robinson made 11 saves.

“That was an awkward save, too. Hat’s off to (Robinson). Hell of a play right there,” Sheridan said.


Added Millett: “Nick Robinson, he had a great game. Obviously, he’s a force to be reckoned with when he gets control of the ball. He makes a lot of good decisions. He’s a really important piece.”

Messalonskee took 10 corner kicks, eight in the second half and overtimes, but couldn’t convert. With approximately eight minutes left in regulation, Cony began to control play and, soon after, registered its best scoring chances. The Rams’ best opportunity came with 2:30 to play in the second half. Logan Butler sent a long pass across from the left, but Simon McCormick was unable to get a clean header off, and his shot went wide of the net.

“We couldn’t quite finish. They just ran out of gas. We sub more. That’s our strength. A lot of our pieces are interchangeable, so a lot of our game plan is line after line after line of speed. Just keep coming at them,” Millett said.

A yellow card to Messalonskee’s Cole Smith with six seconds to play in the second overtime gave the Rams one final chance to break the tie. Messalonskee’s Ryan McCarthy got in front of the hard free kick, and was showing off the ball-shaped welt on his torso after the game.

“We just missed on some opportunities out there. I thought Cony is much improved. Cony played well. They put some pressure on us,” Sheridan said. “We did have the ball a lot of possessions. For some reason, we just couldn’t finish today.”

Messalonskee assistant coach Todd Smith was issued a red card for disputing a call five minutes into the second half and will miss the Eagles’ next game, at Mt. Blue on Saturday.

Travis Lazarczyk — 861-9242

[email protected]

Twitter: @TLazarczykMTM

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.