A couple and two children were displaced early Sunday from their mobile home at 42 Madison Road in Norridgewock after it was damaged by fire, according to Norridgewock fire Captain Steve Ireland.

The fire at the home of Diane Bouffard is believed to have started around heat tape near a washing machine, Ireland said later Sunday.

About 13 Norridgewock firefighters responded to the fire, which was reported at 7:10 a.m., and the Skowhegan Fire Department stood by at the Norridgewock fire station, according to Ireland.

He said most of the damage was confined to the floor area, outside skirting and back door of the home, where there also is some water damage.

When firefighters arrived, flames were showing at the back half of the home, under the skirting, said Ireland, who turned the breaker off at the pole when he arrived. Central Maine Power Co. was called to the scene and the Red Cross was notified, he said.

Ann Kim, director of external communications for the American Red Cross, Maine Region, issued a press release Sunday saying a disaster action team is working with the family to ensure members have food, a safe place to sleep and other essentials.

“Over the next several days, the Red Cross will remain in contact with them to provide financial assistance and community referrals as they begin to make their road to recovery,” the release says.

The home, located about three buildings from Citgo Tradewinds Variety Store, was insured, Ireland said.

Firefighters cleared the scene at about 8:30 a.m., he said.

Ireland said he did not know if the family’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors were up to date, but cautioned people to have such detectors in place and ensure they are working.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: