FARMINGTON — A local man was sentenced Tuesday to serve three years of an eight-year sentence for bringing heroin from Massachusetts and selling it in July 2016 in the Farmington area.

Mark Barrett, 60, of Farmington, entered an Alford plea in September 2017 in a negotiated agreement to felony charges of unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs and illegal importation of scheduled drugs.

An Alford plea is based on a defendant’s belief that he or she is not guilty but thinks that if a jury believed the state’s evidence, he would be found guilty.

During a joint investigation by the Farmington Police Department and the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, police intercepted Barrett’s car, driven by Guy Stevens, 42, of Temple, around midnight July 14 on Lucy Knowles Road in Farmington.

Police executed a search warrant for the car and found a black bag hanging from the gear shift with 37 grams of heroin inside, Fisher previously said.

Police also found a small amount of heroin under the seat and a handgun, he said.

Police searched Barrett’s residence on Lucy Knowles Road in Farmington and found dozens of plastic bags laid out and a drug ledger with names and amounts listed in it, Fisher said.

Fisher told the court during co-defendant Guy Stevens’ sentencing in April 2017 that the two men made the trip to Massachusetts two or three times a week and brought back about $5,000 worth of heroin each time.

Stevens, 42, of Temple pleaded guilty to a felony charge of unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs. He is serving 30 months of an eight-year sentence for trafficking in heroin. Upon his release, he will serve two years of probation.

A third co-defendant, Chris Crockett, was 56 and a Farmington resident when he was arrested in 2016. The adjudication of his case is incomplete.

Barrett also agreed Tuesday to forfeit his 2006 Honda Accord and the 9 mm handgun that was in it when it was searched, Assistant Attorney General David Fisher told the court.

The status of about 19 other firearms found at his residence is still under discussion between state and defense attorneys. The matter is expected to go to a criminal forfeiture hearing, but a date for that has not been chosen.

Defense attorney Adam Sherman said Barrett would like the firearms, except for the one forfeited, to go to his sister.

Retired-Active Justice Thomas Delahanty II sentenced Barrett to eight years with the Department of Corrections, with all but 36 months suspended, on the trafficking charge; followed by two years of probation. Barrett also was sentenced to three years on the illegal importation charge, which will be served at the same time as the trafficking sentence.

Fisher asked that Barrett be required to pay restitution to the Farmington Police Department for the cost of testing of the drugs.

Delahanty denied the request, saying it was a public investigation.

Barrett was ordered to pay a $1,030 fine within 18 months of his probation period.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.