WATERVILLE — A fire caused by a pellet stove damage the roof of a home on Gold Street Sunday morning.

Waterville Fire Capt. Shawn Esler said the fire, which was called in just after 9 a.m., was caused by an improperly installed pellet stove exhaust pipe. He said he was not sure how recently the pipe was installed. When crews arrived, Esler said the fire and smoke was visible from the eves of the roof, but the 14 Waterville firefighters that responded were able to put the fire out in about 20 minutes.

“The firefighters that responded did an excellent job,” he said.

No one was injured in the fire, and the two residents that lived there are temporarily displaced, but Esler said the home will be habitable soon, after a contractor closes the building envelope and electrician restores power.

Waterville emergency services were busy on other calls at the time, so the fire department was only able to initially send a tanker and ladder truck. The firefighters were able to quickly gain access to the ceiling and attic area and extinguished the fire. Crews from Winslow and Fairfield covered the Waterville station.

Colin Ellis — 861-9253

[email protected]

Twitter: @colinoellis

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: