PHILLIPS — Two families escaped a burning apartment building Sunday after a stove-top grease fire in a kitchen on the second floor spread into walls and up into the ceiling, Fire Chief Mark Rousseau said Monday.

The fire spread quickly and extended into the attic space and roof at the two-apartment building located at 32 Dodge Road, he said.

When the first crew of firefighters arrived, flames could be seen coming through the roof and eaves.

Everyone got out safely, Rousseau said. There were no injuries reported.

Thirty to 40 firefighters from Phillips, Strong, Salem Township, Kingfield, New Vineyard and Farmington responded to the fire call just before 6 p.m. NorthStar EMS ambulance also responded.

The names of the occupants of the two apartments were not immediately known.

Firefighters put salvage covers over items in the first floor apartment, but the second floor apartment was a total loss, Rousseau said.

The house is not livable.

Dick Mitchell of Phillips owns the building, he said.

There was no insurance.

The American Red Cross of Maine sent a Disaster Action Team to help the two families to ensure they have food, financial assistance, a safe place to sleep and other essentials. There were nine people affected according to a Red Cross press release.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.