BANGOR — Fire officials in Maine say a tenant attempting to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame caused a house fire.

Fire crews were called to the scene in Bangor early Saturday morning to find the house full of heavy smoke. Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Matt Costello said one of the tenants in the building was attempting to thaw out a frozen pipe with an open flame, and set fire to the basement.

Costello says crews were delayed because the tenant did not immediately call 911, instead attempting to extinguish the fire himself.

Costello says the fire was contained in about an hour, and two firefighters suffered minor injuries. Officials urge people not to use an open flame to thaw pipes.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.