AUGUSTA — A boy who attends Cony Middle School has been charged with terrorizing after he allegedly made a threat involving a firearm earlier this week.

Cony faculty learned of the threat on Tuesday and then notified the school resource officer, who investigated it, according to a news release Thursday afternoon from Augusta Police Deputy Chief Jared Mills.

“The student was identified and the School Resource Officer was able to conduct an interview that involved the parents,” the release said. “After the interview, it was determined that the student was unlikely to act on their previous alleged threat; however, the investigation continues.”

News Thursday of the incident that had happened two days prior came following a mass shooting at a high school in Florida that left 17 dead.

And in Southern Maine, a 15-year-old South Portland High School student was charged with terrorizing and carrying a concealed weapon after allegedly posting a social media message about “shooting up the school.” Other students who saw the messages on Snapchat and reported them.

The boy involved in the incident at Cony Middle and High School was later issued a juvenile summons charging him with terrorizing and remains in the custody of his parents.

Mills said the case would be forwarded to the Kennebec County District Attorney’s Office and a juvenile corrections officer for disposition.

“The Augusta Police Department would like to thank the administration at Cony for assisting and bringing this incident to closure as soon as possible,” the release said.

Earlier Thursday, Cony Principal Kim Silsby had put up a letter to parents on the school’s Facebook page telling them about the incident and saying, “We have not been able to uncover any evidence that the school, staff, and the students are in any danger.”

“The Cony High School administration became aware of a rumor of a terrorizing nature spreading through the middle school on Tuesday, February 13th,” Silsby wrote, saying the incident was immediately reported to Augusta Police Department and that the school administration investigated it as well. “The student who allegedly made disturbing comments and students who had first-hand knowledge have been interviewed.”

She also discounted rumors “that individual students and faculty have been singled out on a ‘List’ as a result of the disturbing comments. This has been vetted by Law Enforcement and there is no evidence to suggest this ‘List’ exists.”

Silsby noted that she could not share any more details regarding the investigation.

“Please know that the safety of our students and staff are our highest priority,” she added. “We have taken all of the appropriate measures to ensure the safety of our school.”

She said that those with further concerns could contact her or Carly Wiggin, the school resource officer at 207-626-2460.

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.