FARMINGTON — A house at 500 Town Farm Road was damaged Sunday night when an area around a stovepipe caught fire, Farmington fire Capt. Scott Baxter said Monday.

The tenant was not injured, but the house is uninhabitable, he said.

The tenant was using a wood stove in the kitchen when the area between the wall around the stovepipe and the chimney caught fire, Baxter said. The fire extended up to a storage area and burned some of the rafters.

Firefighters put salvage covers on items in the kitchen. There was some smoke damage in the living quarters and some water and smoke damage in the kitchen.

The house could be renovated, Baxter said.

Gary Bergeron, of New Sharon, owns the house, which is insured.

The tenant’s name was unavailable.

Farmington firefighters were assisted by others from Wilton, Jay, Temple, Chesterville and Strong. NorthStar EMS ambulance personnel and Farmington police also to the scene of the fire, which was reported about 6:53 p.m.

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.